The candidate for this position needs to ensure that all garments managed by the Production Team are of the correct fit, look, fabric, measurement and quality. S/he needs to ensure samples meet customer standards. The Pattern Maker is responsible for the preparation of the Technical Pack for each style including technical drawings, written detail specifications and size specs.
Responsibilities and main tasks
-Responsible for grading swimwear garments.
-Must know how the patterns pieces are joined together.
-Input patterns into the system through digitizing.
-Make adjustments and modifications in PDS, on PAD pattern design.
-Prepare models and orders for costing.
-Understand specification sheets & sketches.
-Compute dimensions of patterns according to sizes, considering stretching of material.
-Create a master pattern for each size within a range of garment sizes, using charts, drafting instruments, computers, and/or grading devices.
-Create a paper pattern from which to mass-produce a design concept.
-Determine the best layout of pattern pieces to minimize waste of material, and mark fabric accordingly.
-Discuss design specifications with designers, and convert their original models of garments into patterns of separate parts that can be laid out on a length of fabric.
-Draw details on outlined parts to indicate where parts are to be joined, as well as the positions of pleats, pockets, buttonholes, and other features, using computers or drafting instruments.
-Draw outlines of pattern parts by adapting or copying existing patterns, or by drafting new patterns.
-Examine sketches, sample articles, and design specifications to determine quantities, shapes, and sizes of pattern parts, and to determine the amount of material or fabric required to make a product.
-Mark samples and finished patterns with information such as garment size, section, style, identification, and sewing instructions.
Education and Experience
- College Degree in patternmaking or equivalent
- 2-3 years of experience in similar position
- 2-3 years experience in pattern making and fitting procedures
- 2-3 years of experience in the fashion and apparel industry
- Experience with PAD System Version 5.0
- Thorough knowledge of industry standard garment construction techniques
- Swimwear experience
- Ability to work in collaborative team environment, as well as work independently
- Detailed oriented, with accuracy and precision
- Experienced with interpreting market trends in order to achieve current fashions and desired look.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Good time management skills, ability to prioritize, and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of grading with grading rules, and digitizing
- Fabric knowledge
- Attention to details and precision
- Ability to multitask; good memory required in order to work on several styles, modifications from different pattern makers
- Capable of organizing spec book with detailed information
- Knowledge of production cycle and impact on design
- Knowledge and understanding of trends and Swimwear apparel industry
- Good level in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent level of English (written and spoken)
- Good level of spoken French (written and spoken)