***Thank you in advance for the interest, if you are not a Permanent Resident of Canada please do not apply to this position***
Our retail fashion client is looking for a Buyer/Category Manager to add to their growing team! This person will report to the Director of Merchandising. They will be responsible for the merchandising activities of the assigned categories, managing product aligned to the brand and ensuring compliance with product
standards. They will work closely with the Design, Fit, Production and Planning Teams, in line
with the overall brand vision in both private label programs and line-vendor product
1. Financial Objectives
Achieves all key financial objectives established in the annual category budget:
▪ Sales Plan
▪ Gross Margin % and Dollar Plan
▪ Stock Turns
▪ End of season Inventory Plan
2. Merchandise Management
▪ Works with the Directors of Merchandising and Directors of Design on the short
and long-term strategies for the brand including the general merchandising plan,
assortments planning and the pricing strategy for the category.
▪ Shows strong analytical skills and market awareness.
▪ Makes relevant recommendations to partnering departments for future product
development and selection, including recommendations as to fabrics, styling,
pricing, quantification, flow of goods, promotional and markdown strategy, and
overall brand vision.
▪ Creates quantification and monthly flow plans based on Planning Department’s
guidelines, and records them in Storyboards/Intent-to-Buys.
▪ Collaborates with the Design Team to establish brand trends, ensure
wardrobability of the global product assortment and the development of best
product (quality, fit and style).
▪ Partners with Production team to ensure timely delivery of goods and targeted
GM by providing seasonal architecture, identifying target retail prices at the
beginning of the seasonal development process.
▪ Partners with the Designer of his/her categories in the development of brand-
▪ Participates in fit sessions to ensure product vision is executed.
▪ Selects and works with best in class line-vendors to procure brand-appropriate
product complementary to that being developed in-house.
▪ Builds partnerships with line-vendors to promote their development of brand-
appropriate product within the vendors’ expertise.
▪ Negotiates best cost to ensure optimal value for our customer.
3. Business Management
▪ Demonstrates strong merchant sense through product assortment, pricing,
quantification, problem solving and all other business management decisions.
▪ Ensures adherence to the monthly OTB plan.
▪ Makes recommendations to the Director of Merchandising, regarding any mid-
season adjustments to be made.
▪ Takes appropriate action with regards to quality issues or inadequately
performing merchandise, including the return of goods to vendors, request for
markdown allowance, etc.
▪ Makes recommendations to the Director of Merchandising to ensure the
appropriate items are photographed and featured – for e-commerce, direct
mailing, and other promotional materials – and ensures the timely delivery of
samples of those items for photography purposes.
▪ Assists the Marketing, E-commerce and Visual Teams with the development of
editorial content as requested by those teams.
4. People Management
▪ Maintains a performing team through ongoing coaching and deals with under
performing staff in a timely manner utilizing the Company’s resources.
▪ Resolves employee issues in a timely manner.
▪ Delegates responsibilities to team members to stimulate growth.
▪ Promotes teamwork and collaboration with all the Merchandising Department.
▪ Performs store visits regularly, including periodic visits to alternate markets
within the chain. Visits our stores as well as competition stores to collect store
operations and customers feedback on fabrics, colors, trends, pricing, sales
promotions, visual displays, and reports back other relevant information to the
Director of Merchandising.
▪ Approves all cost sheets to ensure targets are met.
▪ Partners with stores to understand customer needs.
▪ Manages the Performance Management cycle by conducting Annual Appraisals, 3
Month Appraisals and the Mid-Year Reviews in a timely manner.
▪ Ensures all direct reports are aware of and understands all Company Policies
such as Loss Prevention and Human Resources policy manuals.
▪ Adheres to all new and existing Company policies and procedures (i.e. Loss
Prevention, Health & Safety and Human Resources).
▪ 10 years experience in a similar position
▪ Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
▪ Good knowledge of merchandising systems and Microsoft Excel
▪ Experience in product development and line-buying
▪ Excellent communication skills
▪ Able to work effectively under pressure
▪ Strong fashion flair
▪ Strong negotiation skills
▪ Strong analytical skills
▪ Team Player
Working Conditions and Environment
▪ This is a full-time position.
▪ Might have to work overtime during certain periods of the year.
▪ Works in a sitting/walking/standing position.
▪ Travels for store visits and trend spotting (North America and overseas).
▪ Lifts boxes of samples, carries clothes, pushes rolling racks.