Our client, a multifaceted business organization (real estate investments, private equity investments, cash flows and other ventures), is looking for an experienced Controller with CPA or CA to manage accounting for all taxes, financials and investments.
The position will ensure compliance with Quebec, CRA and some US tax law through a series of systems and system controls that are designed to ensure accurate and timely reporting. They will monitor current and impending changes to tax regulation and make the appropriate updates to policies and strategies.
If you’re an accountant who is looking for a change from large firm public tax accounting or the corporate environment this could be the job for you!
The ideal candidate will manage the finances to greater performance, create and implement tax plans, and work with the accountants and shareholders to identify opportunities for process improvement and potential areas of risk. Full-charge bookkeeping and reconciling bank and brokerage statements to consolidated financial statements, income tax projections, and use of software to prepare income tax returns for review by outside CPA.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Perform full-charge bookkeeping and bank and brokerage reconciliations
- Facilitate and manage the preparation and review of Company provincial and federal tax returns
- Ensure accurate, timely filing of income tax returns and other business-related filings
- Find and implement opportunities for process improvement in reporting on Company and individual portfolios
- Develop and implement strategic tax planning for all necessary federal and provincial taxes – company and individual
- Manage and facilitate CRA/RQ/IRS income tax inquiries: preparing responses, creating schedules, etc.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the effects of these developments to management and the tax team and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation
- Provide support with various internal Company projects
- Review tax returns and quarterly/yearly tax projections
- CPA or CA is preferred with minimum Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Strong knowledge of tax code, compliance and procedures for corporations and individuals
- Familiarity with CRA and RQ reporting requirements
- 5 years of experience in preparing individual, partnership, and corporate tax returns
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within real estate, stock, and bond portfolio accounting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – English and some French required
- Exceptional organizational skills with strong ability to utilize project management and accounting best practices to organize and prioritize tasks
- Strong attention to detail and discretion
- Strong analytical and modeling (Excel) skills
- Ability to work independently in quiet office
- Prior accounting experience in family office is a plus
- Experience with Trust tax returns
- Experience as an accountant with a public accounting firm
- Master’s degree in accounting